Frequency of Aplastic Anaemia in Children

Tariq Ayub, Fazal ur Rahman Khan, Muhammad Amin Jan Mahsud

Abstract



Background: Aplastic anaemia is a rare haematopoetic stem cell disorder. The aetiology of the acquired aplastic anaemia is most of the times unknown. The blood count reveals decrease in either or all the cell lines and bone marrow is hypocellular. Objective of this study was to find out the prevalence of aplastic anaemia in anaemic children.

Material & Methods: This was a descriptive study of 40 children with anaemia in the Paediatric Unit of District Headquarter Teaching Hospital D.I.Khan from January 2007 to December 2008. Both male and female children up to 12 years age were included in the study. Clinical record, full blood count, peripheral smear and bone marrow reports were recorded.

Results: Among 40 patients, 19(47.5%) were males and 21(52.5%) females, with male to female ratio of 1:1.1. Age range was 0-12 years, with less than 1 year 3(7.5%), 1-5 years 24(60%) and 5-12 years 13(32.5%) patients. Blood count/and peripheral smear analysis revealed anaemia in 40(100%), thrombocytopenia 36(90%) and leukopenia in 17(42.5%) patients. Pancytopenia was present in 17(42.5%) and bicytopenia in 18(45%). Together bicytopenia and pancytopenia constituted 87.5%. Bone marrow findings showed hypoplasia/aplasia in 8(20%), leukaemia 6(15%) and megaloblastic anemia in 23(57.5%).

Conclusion: The prevalence of aplastic anemia is 20% among anaemic children in our set up.


Full Text:

PDF

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.


© 2011 Gomal Journal of Medical Sciences